Prop polishing

Discussions about AS400, AS450, AS500, AS600, AS650, AS650CE

Prop polishing

Beitragvon funkydrgonzo » Mi Jul 06, 2016 9:08 am

Does somebody have experiences with polishing the prop? I guess that could bring up some more RPM...

The original is very rough and i know from speedboats, that tuning the prop is the first thing to do...
funkydrgonzo
Site Admin

Re: Prop polishing

Beitragvon funkydrgonzo » Fr Sep 23, 2016 2:41 pm

i've started to polish one side of the prop. I will upload some pictures asap.

Not sure, if that was the best idea ;-)
funkydrgonzo
Site Admin

Beitragvon Hec In Omaha » Fr Sep 23, 2016 2:56 pm

funkydrgonzo,

I am glad you are polishing the prop. I agree that the Aqua Scooter will benefit from a well polished and balanced propeller. By the way I asked the U.S. Aqua Scooter representative about polishing the prop. Here is how the conversation went.

My Propeller Question: Have you ever polished a propeller to see if you can gain some performance? The prop finish isn't very smooth on these. I would think that a smooth finish and a well balanced propeller would enhance the performance.

His Response: No! We never considered we were going to the Daytona speedway.

How are you polishing the propeller. I thought of using Wet/Dry Sandpaper. Starting at 400 grit, then 800 grit and finishing up with 1,200 grit. A light coat of paint would help keep things smooth.

Keep us posted!

Hec
If its not broken, then I can't fix it!
Hec In Omaha

Beitragvon funkydrgonzo » So Sep 25, 2016 9:23 am

i've started polishing it with my dremel only on one side to remove the rough surface. now the next step will be sandening ...

it took me quite a while. this casted iron is strange to work on
Dateianhänge
IMG_20160925_102050.jpg
IMG_20160925_102057.jpg
funkydrgonzo
Site Admin

Beitragvon Hec In Omaha » So Sep 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Funkydrgonzo

Lookin good! What did you use to remove the propeller? Can you post how you got it off?

Hec
Hec In Omaha

Beitragvon funkydrgonzo » Mo Sep 26, 2016 8:41 am

to be honest. i have no idea. this prob is brand new. i've bought them in gerhard's shop for test purposes ;-)

http://aqua-scooter.de/goshop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_34&products_id=125
funkydrgonzo
Site Admin

Beitragvon Chicago_AS600 » Do Aug 17, 2017 4:38 pm

I'm surprised there hasn't been a prop redesign. If you look at boats - they went from 2 blade, to 3 blade, and now 4 blade are very common. I upgraded my 34' boat from 3 to 4 blade props 4 years ago and the difference was outstanding. While Aquascooter has upgraded the engine, ignition, carb, etc - it makes sense that a different prop would add benefit as well. Even if still a 2 blade - the pitch and cupping can make a big difference.
Chicago_AS600

Beitragvon funkydrgonzo » Fr Aug 18, 2017 6:15 am

i think there will be no redesign anymore as comer spa. is working hard on carts
funkydrgonzo
Site Admin

Beitragvon Hec In Omaha » Mi Aug 23, 2017 2:59 am

All,

My red and white AS600 has a powder coated prop. The finish is much smoother than the bare stock prop. My red and white AS600 is faster than my Daughters Yellow one. Even though it's an older orange tank version fitted with a new tank,cruise handle,and AS400 starter housing and tail piece. I wanted something red,white,and blue! It also achieves about 300 More RPM. There are other differences in the two AS600's though. Mine has the upgraded ignition and has the new style carb. I can beat my 8 yr old daughter in a race and she is 50 lbs! She goes full throttle too! :lol: I still think the smooth prop must help generate more RPM though. If the darn props weren't so hard to remove, I would swap them and measure the RPMs.

Hec
Hec In Omaha

Beitragvon Chicago_AS600 » Fr Aug 25, 2017 5:31 pm

That would be an interesting test. Do the props look identical vs. the powder coat or is there a different pitch or design of the prop.
Chicago_AS600

Nächste

Zurück zu Technical Discussions