Prop polishing

Discussions about AS400, AS450, AS500, AS600, AS650, AS650CE
Hec In Omaha

Re: Prop polishing

Post by Hec In Omaha » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:49 pm

As far as I know, all props are the same. They all have the same part number.

Here is another powder coated prop going in a rebuilt AS400 I'm putting back together.

Hec
Attachments
IMG_5544.JPG
Powder coated AS400 prop
If its not broken, then I can't fix it!

Michaelnep

Prop polishing

Post by Michaelnep » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Im not concerned with going 50, but with the 175 suzuki i should be able to hit that and in turn my cruise will be faster.
Im thinking of trying a 16" prop?? Any thoughts?

Hec In Omaha

Re: Prop polishing

Post by Hec In Omaha » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:20 pm

I don't think your post is in regards to an Aquascooter.

If you are referring to a boat prop, you will need to find one the physically fits so it needs to be the proper diameter. Next you will need the proper pitch so that the engine achieves the recommended Wide Open Throttle RPM's under normal conditions. Too much pitch and the engine will lug and not achieve peak horsepower. Not enough pitch and the engine will over REV causing damage! The rule of thumb is that an increase or decrease of 1 in pitch will result in about a 200 RPM increase or decrease in RPM's. You will need to determine what size your prop is now and record how many RPM's the engine makes at Wide Open Throttle. Compare the RPM's to what the manufacturer recommends and either reduce or increase the pitch of the prop accordingly. Prop sizes are given with the diameter first then pitch. So a 15 x 12 prop would have a 15" Diameter and a 12" Pitch.

Hec
If its not broken, then I can't fix it!