Carb Setting

Discussions about AS400, AS450, AS500, AS600, AS650, AS650CE

Carb Setting

Beitragvon bluyvi » Fr Sep 23, 2016 2:40 pm

This is a original Video from Comer regarding the Carb Settings (Hi and Low) Screw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg-HD0SmF8
bluyvi

Re: Carb Setting

Beitragvon Hec In Omaha » Fr Sep 23, 2016 3:22 pm

bluyvi,

Thank you for posting. I wish the technician would have posted how many turns open each screw ended up being. :( If you have just rebuilt the carb, the initial settings should be set so the H and L screws are 1 turn open. This will get the engine running. My AS600 (Walbro Carb) runs best with the H and L screws right around 3/4 turns open. I used a digital Tachometer to determine when I achieved maximum RPM's at full throttle. If the L screw isn't opened enough the engine will not transition from idle to full throttle smoothly and will hesitate. If the H screw isn't opened enough the engine will not develop full RPM. When you are adjusting the air/fuel screws only adjust one screw driver blade width at a time! Very small increments! If the screws are not labeled the L Screw is always closest to the engine and the H Screw is always closest to the air intake.

Here is the Carb adjustment procedure from the Walbro Manual

Carb Adjustment.jpg
Walbro Adjustment Procedure
Carb Adjustment.jpg (141.57 KiB) 2387-mal betrachtet

Hec
Zuletzt geändert von Hec In Omaha am Fr Sep 23, 2016 5:02 pm, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
If its not broken, then I can't fix it!
Hec In Omaha

Beitragvon funkydrgonzo » Fr Sep 23, 2016 3:42 pm

cool idea to attach a tachometer. does the scooter not turning to fast for the tacho? Where did you mounted it?

@thx blu for posting the video
funkydrgonzo
Site Admin

Beitragvon Hec In Omaha » Fr Sep 23, 2016 3:52 pm

funkydrgonzo,

I use a small battery operated Tachometer. I run my Aqua Scooter totally submerged with the nose pressed up against a wooden dock in our lake. The wire lead to the Tachometer is 5 feet long so the Tachometer stays dry on the dock. I adjust the H screw in very small increments until I achieve Maximum RPMS. I never screw in the H screw past the lean drop off point! Don't want to run with a lean condition.

Hec
Hec In Omaha

Beitragvon Hec In Omaha » So Okt 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Howdy All,

I wanted to follow up to this post with some pictures of my Test Station for my Aqua Scooters. The Test Station consists of plastic storage container, a piece of wood, and digital mini tachometer. The wood plank serves as a place to set the Aqua Scooter while starting or making adjustments out of the water and also serves as a bumper for the nose of the Aqua Scooter to rest against while operating in the water. When I adjust the carburetor I want to see what effect it has with the Maximum RPM's being created by the engine.

About the mini-tachometer - It is splash proof and battery operated. I placed a wire zip tie through it's mounting holes to make a loop that the Aqua Scooters carrying handle could pass through. You could also mount it on the snorkel up high if you wanted to. Hooking up the mini tachometer is easy. I make 3 loops of the pick up wire around the spark plug wire and secure it. That's all it takes! The mini tachometer wakes up and starts reading RPM's the instant the engine is started. The mini tachometer is inexpensive and was less than $10 U.S.!

Here is a link to them on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hour-Meter-Tach ... SwDNdV0-VE

Here is the Test Station and Test Results

Test Station 1.JPG
Test Station 1

Test Station 2.JPG
Test Station 2
Test Station 2.JPG (133.93 KiB) 2370-mal betrachtet

Mini Tach Mounted.JPG
Mini Tachometer Mounted

Mini Tach Wiring.JPG
Mini Tach Wiring

AS600 #1 Idling Out of the Water 4,880 RPM.JPG
AS600 #1 Idling Out of Water 4,880 RPM

AS600 #1 Idling in Water 2,070 RPM .JPG
AS600 #1 Idling in Water 2,070 RPM

Just for fun I tried to fire up my latest AS600 (AS600 #2)for the first time. It fired right up and ran nicely. This one still has the factory tamper proof plastic covers on the Walbro Carb adjustment screws. I was curious to see where this one idles at so that I can compare to my AS600 #1 settings.

AS600 #2 Idling Out of the Water 4,950 RPM.JPG
AS600 #2 Idling out of the Water 4,950 RPM
AS600 #2 Idling Out of the Water 4,950 RPM.JPG (88.49 KiB) 2363-mal betrachtet

Not too far off from my 4,880 RPM Reading taken on AS600 #1 :mrgreen:

The maximum RPM achieved at full throttle in the water was 5,450 RPM. I couldn't take a picture of that reading and hold the Aqua Scooter! I tried and almost dropped my phone in the tank!

I hope you all find this helpful.

Hec
Hec In Omaha

Beitragvon funkydrgonzo » Mo Okt 24, 2016 7:41 am

This is so nice.

I just thought about Dieter's Teststation

You'll find a short video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlwOddUoMoM

Regarding the Tacho: Does that mean, that youst wiring the kabel around the spark plug is enough to detect the RPM of the engine? So there is enought induction to wake up the tacho?

What a brilliant idea.

Can someone explain me which Scooter (AS400 etc) has which tank color?

BTW: Is this the new Scooter you bought last week on ebay?

I've unmounted my exhausts on the weekend (10weeks after last usage) and there was still a lot of water behind the valve.
I think it's quite important to unmount the exhause valve so the water can dry out over the winter.
funkydrgonzo
Site Admin

Beitragvon Hec In Omaha » Mo Okt 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Yes the mini tachometer is sensitive enough to pick up the electrical induction signal!

The Aqua Scooter I purchased last week is an AS400. It is supposed to arrive today.

From what I have seen

Tank colors:

AS400 early models had orange tanks with no provision for a fuel shut off valve. The orange tanks had a textured finish.

AS400 later models - AS500 had orange tanks with fuel shut off valves. The orange tanks had a textured finish.

AS600 early models had the yellowish green tanks.

AS600 later models early AS650CE models had orange tanks. These orange tanks are different than the previous orange tanks as they have a molded belt line just like the yellow tanks and have a glossy smooth finish.

AS650CE later models - Super Magnum had the red on white tanks.

At the end of each day you should start the Aqua Scooter and run it for 1 minute out of the water while varying the throttle. Hold the nose up 30 degrees while doing this. This will ensure all water will flow to the exhaust port. Stop the engine by choking the carb. That's what I read somewhere and I have been doing it with good results.

Hec
Hec In Omaha

Zurück zu Technical Discussions