Hec's AS600 Rebuild

Discussions about AS400, AS450, AS500, AS600, AS650, AS650CE
Hec In Omaha

Hec's AS600 Rebuild

Post by Hec In Omaha » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:29 pm

All,

Here are some pictures of my AS600. I acquired the AS600 from a neighbor who asked me to help him get it running. He brought it to me with a broken starter rope. I replaced the rope and noticed that I did not feel compression while pulling the rope. I removed the spark plug and could not see the piston moving up and down when I pulled the rope either. Next I took a 13mm socket and a long extension and ratchet and rotated the propeller nut clockwise. Now I could see the piston move up and down. My first thought was the key that keeps the flywheel from spinning independently from the crankshaft was sheared. So to investigate, I began to try and remove the flywheel. First I removed the ignition plate and set it aside. I could not remove the flywheel as it was seized onto the crankshaft. I tried penetrating oil heat, brute force and nothing worked. I ended up destroying the flywheel trying to get it off. You can see a piece of the flywheel still on the end of the crankshaft piece that broke off. To this day that piece is still seized on the crankshaft. It is permanently seized! The crankshaft broke right where it rides in the front bearing. I told my neighbor what I had found and he ended up giving it to me. So that afternoon I disassembled the Aqua Scooter to find bad bearings, bad seals, missing rear seal protection sleeve, scored piston, and a carburetor in need of rebuilding. The only engine parts that were still usable where the cylinder sleeve, prop, engine case halves. I replaced, all bearings, seals, installed a nice used crankshaft and piston fitted with new rings and wrist pin bearings, AS650 flywheel and ignition module (Nice Upgrade!), new fuel lines, spark plug, carburetor rebuilt, and installed the missing prop seal protection sleeve. I was able to remove and install all bearings and seals using ordinary hand tools like sockets and small hammer to tap them out and new ones in. I have since purchased a flywheel pulling tool so if I ever need to pull the flywheel off it will make the job much simpler!
Aqua-Scooter has made upgrades over the years and I was able to install some of them on my AS600. Upgrades installed are: Electronic Ignition system used in the AS650, Sealed bearings as used in the AS650. I can't believe that the original bearings are not completely sealed units! Rear prop bearing as used in the AS650. This bearing race has been machined flat spots to improve lubrication to the prop bearing. you can see the original race (left) in the picture which has no machining and the new one (right) pictured below the crankshaft and to the left of the sleeve.

The result is a very nice running Aqua-Scooter.
Broken Crankshaft End1.jpg
Broken Crankshaft Forward End
Broken Crankshaft1.jpg
Broken Crankshaft
Dissasembled1.jpg
Ready for Assembly!
Hec
Last edited by Hec In Omaha on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If its not broken, then I can't fix it!

funkydrgonzo
Site Admin

Re: Hec's AS600 Rebuild

Post by funkydrgonzo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:32 pm

awesome hec. i like that.

Thank you for sharing.

Did you changed the carburetor to a WALBRO?

I've thought about where to buy a supermagnum. I think you should contact Gerhard Böse from http://www.aqua-scooter.de

I've had a phone call with him and i told him the story. Sure, he will send you ... Just get in contact with him. He's waiting your email

Hec In Omaha

Post by Hec In Omaha » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:49 pm

The Carb on the AS600 is a Walbro as that's what it came with. Very easy to rebuild. I have scanned the service manual and can send it to you using a file sharing site. Maybe you can add it to your site. It's 11.3MB. I will have to look into getting a Super Magnum shipped to me by your contact. My kids have overtaken mine! :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Hec

Chicago_AS600

Post by Chicago_AS600 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:38 am

Stupid question....but which way do the oil seals face? I should have 4 new seals and the 3 bearings tomorrow and want to get this thing going for the 4th. There are 2 between the casing and the prop - and then 1 on each side of the main bearings on the crank.

I bought sealed bearings btw.

Thanks

Hec In Omaha

Post by Hec In Omaha » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 pm

Here ya go!

Rear prop seals:

Seal nearest piston, spring faces piston.
Seal nearest prop spring faces prop.

Main seals:
Side without spring is against bearings

Hec
Attachments
Main seal (800x600).jpg